Friday, May 23, 2008

Exchange Students

Today the exchange students did their presentations. I had Igor from Kyrgyzstan, who is our student living with us this year, Kanar from Iraq and Sam from Turkmenistan. It hit me hard that they will all be going home soon. I started to cry when I watched Igor with the little kids and saw how much he has grown and matured. He is like my own child. It's hard for people to understand if they have never had exchange students in their homes. I am so proud of his accomplishments and all that he has done while he was here. I can't help but cry when I think about his departure in June. It's like they take a little piece of me with them when they return to their countries. I have gotten close to Kanar too and she is a great girl. I worry about her future in her country although she lives pretty far away from most of the fighting. She has great potential in her future and I see that she can do many things. I have just gotten to know Sam and he is a funny kid. He has made some mistakes while here and didn't follow all the rules, but he said it has been a huge growing experience for him and he thinks he will always be a better person because of it. I wish I could just keep up with the kids when they go home, but I can't keep track of all of them.
At home, things are just going the same. The kids seem to be feeling better and everyone went to school today. Kenneth has his energy back and Ian is running around as usual. He is actually at a birthday party for one of his friends from school right now and I have to go get him soon. It is a party for a girl named Daniella and he his the only boy there. He gets invited to all the girls' parties. It cracks me up. He is only 10 and in 4thgrade yet he already has the girls chasing after him. I worry so much about the teenage years. I will have to keep close watch over him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, Kathy:) your blog reminded me of my own year in the US as your exchange student...and now i realize it has been 5 years already!!crazy!!!i am graduating from university this year and back then i still was at school..by the way, thank you for driving me to school, even though you were very very busy you did it for me!:) and thank you for everything!i love you!
PS i was a dream last night and Ian was there:) an almost grown up boy:) how did his project go?

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about technology, and how integrated it has become to our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i[/url] DS SKu2)